Thanks to Patrick Ryan for producing some ABSOLUTELY GREAT event photos – and lots of them. Check out the complete gallery.
One Billion Rising Fort Wayne rocked Parkview Field this afternoon! We danced in the stands, we danced on the dugouts. The Mayor danced. Emcee Terra Brantley danced. The OBRFW Dancers danced. A whole lot of people in the stands danced.
Here are just a few photos to whet your appetite. MANY more photos and videos to follow.
Most photo credits here belong to Patrick Ryan.
One Billion Rising Fort Wayne is here! I can’t wait to see everyone at Parkview Field tomorrow Feb. 14th at noon (it’s going to be 45 degrees and sunny!) and I just wanted to provide a few final details about what to expect:
- Free parking is available in Parkview Field’s Silver Lot south of the TinCaps stadium.
- Food trucks will be in place beginning at 11am and after the event until 1:30pm for the purchase of lunch, with a portion of proceeds being donated to the local prevention of violence.
- OBRFW is FREE to attend. However, volunteers will be on hand to collect a suggested $3 donation to emphasize the 1 in 3 women impacted by violence or abuse statistic. All event proceeds will benefit the local prevention of violence against women and girls and the treatment/healing of survivors.
- The event will go from 12pm – 12:45pm and will be outdoors, so please dress for the weather.
- You don’t need any dancing skills to attend! Dancing is part of One Billion Rising worldwide to spread healing energy, strength and hope. Dancing is primal and liberating and can be done in any form. Our motto is “Move how you move, wiggle how you wiggle.” We will have dance leaders to lead the steps, but everyone is encouraged to join in by clapping and moving in any way that feels right to them.
Thank you all for standing up and being part of One Billion Rising Fort Wayne. Together we have the power to end violence and abuse, and instead spread a message of love and respect for all this Valentine’s Day!
Lori Block Keys
Indiana’s NewsCenter ran a video spot today highlighting One Billion Rising Fort Wayne. In that clip you can get a quick peek of the Fort Wayne TinCaps Bad Apple Dancers practicing to help lead us tomorrow at Parkview Field. OBRFW organizer Lori is showing them a few moves.
First of all, thanks to Indiana’s NewsCenter for shining a light on One Billion Rising Fort Wayne! And, of course, to the Bad Apple Dancers – another big thanks!
So, if you can’t come we’ll miss you.
But, we will be livestreaming the event. Watch it here …
And you can also follow the activity on Twitter at hashtag #1billionrisingfw and @obrising_fw.
Thanks, BIG TIME, to Parkview Field and the Fort Wayne TinCaps for being so great to work with and for making all of the site preparation as easy as pie (apple pie, that is).
You people rock! I repeat – ROCK! In a very short period of time over 500 of you have “signed up” on our Facebook Event Page to RISE at noon tomorrow at Parkview Field!
From all of the volunteers, “We are so very grateful and thankful for everyone who has supported One Billion Rising Fort Wayne. You are all helping us to achieve awareness about violence against women and girls, a key step toward solving the issue. You people rock!”
See you tomorrow! Wear some pink or red.
One Billion Rising is an important moment for the city of Fort Wayne. As a community, we are standing together to celebrate those who have survived violence, while saying with a unified voice that enough is enough. For this reason, YWCA Northeast Indiana is proud to stand by the One Billion Rising Fort Wayne movement as a Resource Partner.
Women come to YWCA Northeast Indiana in times of crisis, because of domestic violence. Annually, our Crisis Line receives over 4,000 calls and we provide services to over 1,500 women and children. These women come for emotional support and empowerment. They come for help in finding childcare, job training, and a better education. They come for a variety of reasons. But they come. And they leave with a renewed spirit, new skills, and stronger lives.
Our entire community is affected by domestic violence and the community benefits derived from our services are both immediate and long-term. We are committed to reducing the number of domestic violence incidents in our community and to improving the future of the women, men, and children exposed to it.
That is why YWCA Northeast Indiana is proud to strike, dance, and rise up with the rest of the Fort Wayne community to show that we are serious about ending violence against women. We look forward to seeing you on February 14!
Learn more about YWCA Northeast Indiana by visiting www.ywca.org/NEIN or by calling (260) 424-4908. Our Crisis Line can also be reached 24/7 at (260) 447-7233 or (800) 441-4073.
… for publishing a great interview with One Billion Rising Fort Wayne organizer, Lori.
As Trinity and David put it in their intro, “This was originally planned to be bonus material to our regular show but the message in this interview was too important to not feature. So, here it is. This is the full length interview with Lori Block Keys, the organizer of 1 Billion Rising Fort Wayne.”
We agree! Go listen to it here.
Trinity and David, we’ll see you on V-Day at noon!